* Loving “Holdi Your Colour” by Pendulum. This album’s has received some fab reviews and definitely lives up to the hype – they have brought drum and bass back onto my radar. Fantastic. Have to stop dancing when it’s on at work or in the car.
* Enjoying “Takk…” by Sigur Ros – Real progression from “()” – almost radio-friendly. It is so atmospheric and projects a scenic beauty that is partly unique to Sigur Ros and also partly unique to the album itself. Wonderful.
* Nuyorican Soul – I have always wanted to check this album out but only recently got it. What have I been missing for so long? It is vibrant and upbeat and lovely. I was familiar with their cover of the Minnie Ripperton classic “I am the black gold of the sun” but the rest of the album was a mystery. Not any more – what a wonderfully vibrant celebration of life. Makes me happy!
* “Multiply” by Jamie Liddell was a real find – Although he is on Warp, his is the music of Al Green and Marvin Gaye… He has an amazing soulful way of singing that is refreshing and new. Great promise – I would love to hear him live. Think it would be a special experience.
* Another modern soulful experience is “Be Bop A Nui” by Brother J. He is part of Fat Freddy’s Drop from New Zealand who stormed this year’s Big Chill festival. It is soulful and downtempo and very special. It also cost me a £1 in Fopp!!! Yes, one quid… The cost no way represents the quality – a real steal!