- Who are you and what do you do?
I'm Ruth Lampi, I'm a writer, illustrator, and con nomad
- What are you working on at the moment?
My current project is an ongoing series of adventure stories set in the Victorian era of a fantasy world, about an unusual family of archeologists.
- Who inspires you?
- Name an artist who has inspired you.
- Name a place that has inspired you.
- Name some "thing" that has inspired you.
Chuckanut sandstone formations
- What drives you to do what you do?
Getting to see what my characters do next, and telling the kind of stories I love reading.
- What values do you wish your creativity to express?A big theme for me is exploring how characters and places can recover from serious devastation. Transformation through love, or even just through stubbornness, appeals to me, and I want to share a kind of grounded hopefulness that can face the bitter and the grim, and overcome it, whether that involves hugs or punching.
- What role does community play in what you do?
I like disparate families of strangers who come together into ensembles. Family is great, but its the travelers you meet, get stuck with, fall in love with and adventure with who make the best unexpected communities. I do a lot of my brainstorming with very close friends, and enjoy working collaboratively. Seeing what you love all over again through diverse viewpoints is startling but I think important. Its easier then to see what and why others love what they do, and appreciate it all more.
- What is next for what you do?
Next I'm writing about body snatchers and a World's Fair, which you can read serialized online at www.worldofshandor.com. ;)